This recipe is sponsored by RightRice. All thoughts and opinions are my own! This recipe also contains affiliate links, thank you for supporting my blog.
I’m beyond excited to tell you all about RightRice! I recently sampled their line of vegetable based rices last month and immediately fell in love. As someone that’s been struggling to get back into eating more wholesome meals after having a baby, RightRice has answered my prayers! I kid you not, it’s a total game-changer. All the filling goodness rice has to offer but so, so much more. Better nutrients overall and you can make a whole bag in less than 15 minutes. Did you get that? Ready in less than 15 minutes!
A little backstory on this broccoli rice casserole. I actually grew up eating this delicious side dish at my family’s restaurant. I don’t really talk much about it here, but I grew up in a BBQ restaurant and of course the most popular side dish, aside from ranch beans, was broccoli rice casserole. Traditionally it’s made with white rice, tons of cheese, butter and a bit of celery too. I’m straying not too far from tradition with my own variation. However it’s way better, in my opinion, and can be made in less than 20 minutes. You can literally prep the base in less than 10 minutes and bake it fresh onsite at a family gathering.
To make this super speedy version of broccoli rice casserole we’re lightly sautéing the onions and broccoli before baking to ensure everything is tender. Otherwise you’ll end up over cooking the rice and having crunchy broccoli, trust me you don’t want that. So it’s very important not to skip that step. Unless you want to make you broccoli riced (super fine) and mince your onion, which is totally your call. I personally like to have the small bites of broccoli throughout. I’m also a big fan of extra crispy, crunchy breadcrumb topping. Which isn’t traditional either but I think it gives this a baked mac and cheese vibe. Feel free to opt for using you’re favorite plant-based shredded cheddar cheese if you want to up the cheesy goodness!
Be sure to check out RightRice for more recipe ideas. I’m also hosting a giveaway over on my Instagram, if you want to try winning all 4 flavors! If you’re sold on giving these a try now they’re available exclusively at Whole Foods and Amazon.
Please let me know if you give this recipe a try, I would love to hear what you think! Be sure to also snap a photo and tag me @PlantPhilosophy on Instagram using #PlantPhilosophy so I don’t miss seeing your post. I love to leave a comment and reshare my favorite recreations. Thank you very much for taking the time to follow along with my content and make my recipes!
Vegan Cheesy Broccoli Right Rice Casserole
Yield 4 servings
This recipe is sponsored by RightRice.
- 1 bag Original RightRice, uncooked
- 1 cup Cheese Sauce, recipe below
- 2 cups Broccoli florets, small chopped
- 1 cup Vegetable Stock, sodium-free
- ½ cup Yellow Onion, diced
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- Pepper, to taste
- ⅓ cup Gluten-Free Bread Crumbs
- 2 tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1 tbsp Coconut Oil, melted
Easy Cheese Sauce:
- 8 oz Firm Tofu*
- ⅓ cup Raw Sunflower Seeds
- ⅔ cups Water, filtered
- 1 tbsp White Miso Paste
- ½ tbsp Sriracha
- ⅔ cups Nutritional Yeast
- ⅓ cup Lemon Juice
- 2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 2 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- Salt, to taste
- For the cheese sauce, measure and blend ingredients until smooth. Measure 1 cup and set aside, save the remaining in an air-tight container for up to 1 week.
- Dice onion, garlic and rough chop broccoli into small chunks. Bring a medium skillet to medium heat and sauté onion and broccoli together for 5-6 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl combine a whole bag of uncooked original RightRice, sautéed veggies, cheese sauce and vegetable stock. Add a pinch of black pepper, optional and stir to evenly combine.
- For the breadcrumb topping, melt coconut oil and stir together with breadcrumbs and nutritional yeast.
- Transfer rice to a small 1 quart baking dish and top with breadcrumbs, I used a gluten-free blend.
- Cover and bake for 15 minutes. Uncover and broil for 2-3 minutes or until top is evenly browned.
- Remove and let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
*RightRice does contain some sodium and the cheese sauce is also salted, I recommend not adding any additional salt. Sprinkle on top if desired upon serving.
*For the cheese sauce you can also use a silken or medium firm tofu. The full recipe yields about 3 cups, save extras in an air-tight container. Store in the fridge for up to 7 days.
Courses Dinner, Side