Have you ever made something on a whim and become completely obsessed with it? Well this has been my go to brunch on days I feel like something savory in place of my usual breakfast smoothie. Some days you need some crispy food to fill the void no smoothie or salad could replace. Don’t get me wrong, I love my breakfast smoothies. But I crave warm foods on mornings where I wake up cold or feeling the need to sit and really savor my food. I’m guilty of gulping down smoothies without a second thought as to what I’m actually doing – perfect for busy days. However the mornings in which I get a little extra time to myself, I like to take that time to feed not only my stomach but my soul. Deep words, I know.
Anything crispy and spicy is a winner in my book. Over the past year I’ve developed this addiction to hot sauce that I never use to crave. I did grow up eating hot cheetos, guilty. Hot sauce is different though and really sets this tostada off. If you’re not a fan of heat, feel free to omit adding sauce. It’s still incredibly flavorful with the black bean hummus base and smoky, veggie-filled tofu scramble.
While a traditional tostada might sound like an unhealthy option, I’ve tried my best to adapt this to keep it on the cleaner side. We’re completely opting out of frying and instead baking a yellow corn tortilla to keep this low-fat, while still yielding a super crispy texture. And with an oil-free hummus base, it’s actually kind of a guilt-free meal. Which is why I totally go heavy handed on the spread, it’s so good!
Top it all off with a handful of greens, the basic tofu scramble from yesterday’s post and you’re all set! Of course, I highly recommend adding hot sauce and a fresh squeeze of lime to kick it up even more.
I hope you enjoy this tostada combo and if you’re looking for more ideas, I have an older recipe for Tex Mex Tostadas here – which is a similar concept, using the same ingredients as the Tex Mex Meal Plan calls for. If you decide to change it up.
Tofu Scramble Tostadas
Yield 2 servings
- Prep you tostadas by baking yellow corn tortillas for 14-16 minutes at 375 F, flipping half way through. Remove before they get too dark, they should be a deep golden brown (like in the photo above).
- Follow the Basic Tofu Scramble recipe and Black Bean Hummus recipe.
- Assemble starting with a tostada shell, topped with hummus, shredded lettuce, 1/4 cup of tofu scramble and hot sauce (optional).
- Serve warm, with a squeeze of lime on top.
Courses Breakfast, Brunch
Cuisine Gluten-free, Vegan, Oil-free
Serving Size 2 tostadas
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 9 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Sodium 348 mg
Total Carbohydrates 39 g
Dietary Fiber 9 g
Sugars 6 g
Protein 16 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.