Talking all about cruelty-free, vegan beauty today with the lovely Sunny from Vegan Beauty Review! I’m delighted to share more about her and The Compassionate Chick’s Guide she has created with Chrystle Fiedler. For those of you that aren’t familiar with Sunny, she was actually the first vegan beauty blogger to hit the scene, back in 2007. She runs the website Vegan Beauty Review, where she writes about the latest and greatest cruelty-free products, fashion, food and everything vegan in between. She has worked for PETA, and has been featured in the LA Times, Women’s World, Allure and numerous other publications. The Compassionate Chick’s Guide to Beauty is part DIY vegan beauty how-to, part cookbook and part self-improvement manifesto. Showcasing non-toxic, rejuvenating and restorative skin care and beauty products that you can whip up in your kitchen with simple ingredients for pennies per treatment. Why spend $40 on a facial mask or $8 on a package of organic facial wipes when you can make these products yourself for just a dollar or two?
With Sunny’s witty, whimsical, edgy and inspirational style, easy-to-follow instructions and step-by-step photos that detail how to make and use the products, this book is a delight to read. The recipes are easy and inexpensive, and provide real beauty results. Everything you need to know about making your own vegan cosmetics is here — from the benefits of going vegan to a complete list of what you’ll need to get started.
Did you know the majority of cosmetics are tested on animals and/or contain animal bi-products? This book contains only vegan, cruelty-free and non-toxic recipes for inexpensive, rejuvenating, restorative skin care and beauty products!
Please, tell me more about YOU and your vegan journey!
I went vegan in 2000 while in college after watching a bunch of PETA’s undercover factory farming videos. They hit me SO incredibly hard that I didn’t even go through a vegetarian phase – went straight to being 100% vegan! My whole life I had loved animals but I ate them without consciously thinking about (which I feel goes the same for the majority of the population).
What sparked your interest in cruelty-free, vegan beauty?
I’ve always been a beauty junkie. I like to joke that in utero, I was probably smearing my mom’s placenta goo on my face for beautiful skin, lol. It wasn’t until I went vegan that I really focused on vegan and cruelty-free beauty products. Every time I would search the internet looking for vegan beauty suggestions, reviews, shops, etc., I’d sadly come up with practically nothing. I felt like there was a void that needed to be filled so I started VeganBeautyReview.com in 2007 so that I could really get the word out about vegan and cruelty-free beauty. Luckily now, there are more vegan beauty brands than I can keep up with as well as a wonderful growing community of cruelty-free bloggers – everything from fashion, food, beauty, lifestyle, you name it. It’s such an amazing time to be vegan!
Name your top 5 must-have vegan beauty products!
Ooh, that’s a toughie. I have so many favs! OK, here goes:
- L’uvalla’s Organic Eye Lip Cream Anti-Wrinkle Cream – best eye cream evah!
- Osea Malibu’s Ocean Cleanser – it’s gentle and nourishing and chock full of vitamins, minerals, and sea algae.
- Schmidt’s Deodorant – Their new Rose + Vanilla scent is do die for, and this stuff really works at keeping pit stank at bay!
- Strawberry Hedgehog soap – her entire line of soaps are made with all-natural, pure ingredients, and they smell and look luxurious. This is one of the very first brands that I ever collaborated with after starting VBR, so I’ll always have a soft spot for Strawberry Hedgehog.
- 100% Pure Pomegranate Oil Lipstick – these fruit pigmented, anti-aging lippies come in GORGEOUS colors and they’re uber moisturizing. They feel incredible on the lips – I’m obsessed!
If you had to pick one must-try DIY from the guide, which would you say is your favorite/go-to and why?
Now that I’m in my mid-30s, wrinkle prevention is at the forefront of my brain (ain’t gonna lie, I’m vain af). 😉 If you’re looking to really infuse your skin with mega moisture, I love the Hemp Facial Oil. Wear this bad boy at night before beddies (and really slather that ish on), and you will wake up with the softest, most supple, kissable skin. It’s pretty much my everything.
Where can everyone find a copy of The Compassionate Chick’s Guide to DIY Beauty?
It’s currently available for pre-order on amazon, but it’ll hit book stores Sept 1. EeeEEe!!!
Is there a possibility for a second edition?
Oh, I can most definitely see that happening! I have so many more recipes and vegan beauty tips and tricks that I’m working on and can’t wait to share to everyone. I’m honored to have had this opportunity to learn more about you and your mission! Thank you so very much for your time, sharing your passion and expertise with all of us.
If you would like to win a copy of The Compassionate Chick’s Guide to DIY Beauty, enter below! a Rafflecopter giveaway Sunny has allowed me to share one of her DIYs from the book. I of course had to choose the Keep-It-Dry Deodorant Paste – we all know my struggle with finding great natural alternatives that truly work. I’m so looking forward to giving this a try soon! I think it will be a fun way to customize the scent and tailor it to my needs. You can find the complete step-by-step photos and instructions below.
Keep-It-Dry Deodorant Paste DIY
Keep-It-Dry Deodorant Paste
Tired of searching for a pure, chemical-free deodorant that doesn’t cost a fortune? Yeah, me, too. Here’s a mega-simple DIY deodorant that focuses on safe, effective ingredients. No muss, no fuss, no stink!
- Small glass jar with lid
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) Arrowroot Powder or Cornstarch
- 1 tbsp (15 mL ) Baking soda or Kaolin Clay
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Coconut Oil
- 5 drops Essential Oil(s), of your choice
- In a small bowl, whisk arrowroot powder with baking soda until well combined. Set aside.
- Place coconut oil in a small heatproof glass bowl. Microwave on High, stirring every 5 seconds, until melted and completely smooth. (The total time will depend on the strength of your microwave.)
- Whisk coconut oil into arrowroot mixture along with essential oil(s) until a paste forms. Pour into jar.
- Using fingers, rub a small amount of paste over underarm skin until absorbed.
- Store at room temperature for up to 1 year.
Top Tip: Tea tree, lavender and lemongrass essential oils are all powerful odor fighters. Add a few drops and you’ll be smelling sweet! Superstar ingredient: Coconut oil is a terrific emollient. It was also popular for cooking in the United States and Canada until the 1970s, when corn and soy oil companies ramped up their propaganda against it. They claimed that its high saturated fat content made it dangerous to consume, but today, we know that coconut oil is more complex than that. The saturated fat in coconut oil consists primarily of medium-chain fatty acids, which aren’t as easily stored as fat by the body.