Two recipes in one week? Dang. I’m trying to get you all ready for picnics in the park. Today’s sweet & tangy carrot broccoli salad pairs perfectly with those curry lentil salad sandwiches I talked about earlier this week. I’m all about that pack-ahead/semi meal-prep life. It makes your life so much easier if you have a few things on hand to make easy meals with. Like that tangy oil-free vinaigrette dressing you can put on any type of salad.
I was inspired to share this after watching Food Network. The lovely Valerie Bertinelli made a version of this but used honey, oil and white vinegar in the dressing. I really love to use red wine vinegar and agave syrup. Omitting the oil completely, but feel free to add it in if you wish. This can easily be made nut-free if you have an allergy, simply use toasted sunflower seeds instead.
If you’re wanting to prep this a day in advance I’d recommend getting the veggies washed and cut to size. Store it all in an airtight container and steam/boil the veggies right before serving. You can also mix ahead the dressing and toast the walnuts. Don’t assemble until right before serving though, the walnuts will lose their crisp texture and the veggies will become soggy too. You want everything to have some bite to it, refrain from over cooking!
Looking for more picnic-friendly, pack-ahead lunch/snack recipes?! Check out some of these for inspiration:
Hemp Seed Pesto Pasta Salad
Buffalo Chickpea Salad Sandwiches
Cheesy Spinach Dip
BLT Power Grain Salads To-Go
Cauliflower Quinoa Tabbouleh
Lemon Potato Salad
Red Pepper & Sun-dried Tomato Hummus
Mediterranean Style Pinwheel Wraps
Sea Salt Caramel Bliss Bites
Banana Cream Pie Parfaits
If you give any of my picnic-friendly recipes a try, be sure to also snap a photo and tag me @PlantPhilosophy on Instagram using #PlantPhilosophy so I don’t miss seeing your post. I love to leave a comment and reshare my favorite recreations. Thank you very much for taking the time to follow along with my content and make my recipes!
Sweet & Tangy Carrot Broccoli Salad
Yield 4 servings
Recipe modified from Valerie Bertinelli’s Broccoli Carrot Salad
- 1 ½ cups Carrots, julienned
- 10 oz. Broccoli Florets
- ½ cup toasted Walnuts
- 3 tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
- 2 tsp Dried Mustard Powder
- 1 tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 3 tbsp Agave Syrup
- ¼ tsp Dried Tarragon
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Heat a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the walnut pieces and cook, stirring occasionally, until evenly toasted. About 6 to 8 minutes. Remove and transfer to a small bowl.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Cut the broccoli florets into bite-sized pieces and thinly slice the stems. Have a bowl of ice water ready.
- Cook the broccoli in boiling water until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Add the carrots and cook 30 seconds more. Drain the broccoli and carrots and submerge in the ice water to stop cooking. Drain well and pat dry as needed to remove any excess water.
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients in a medium bowl with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the broccoli, carrots and walnuts and toss to coat.
Courses Side, Lunch