I was in my kitchen the other day and thought, “Hey, lets make some hummus!“. Well, I had the idea of making a spicy cheezy flavor and then I realized I ultimately just made a straight up cheese dip. So I added some water and it honestly came out better than my original cashew based cheese sauce. But this version is much easier to make, twenty times cheaper and 100% oil & nut-free. Gotta love when recipes just come together like that!
Hope you all enjoy this one, it’s safe to say I’ve made it two more times since then and I’m hooked. It’s so tasty paired with a batch of nachos!
Spicy Chickpea Nacho Cheeze Sauce
Yield 2 cups
- 1 can Garbanzo Beans, + water
- 1/4 cup Nutritional Yeast
- 1/3 cup diced Roasted Red Bell Pepper
- 1/8 cup diced Green Chilies
- 3 tbsp minced Jalapeños
- 2 tbsp Tahini
- 1 tbsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes, adjust to heat preference
- 2 tsp Mustard
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/4 tsp Chili Powder
- 1/4 tsp ground Turmeric
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Measure and blend everything in a high-speed blender or food processor till smooth, about 60 seconds.
- Add more water as needed for your desired consistency.
- Serve warm or cold with tortilla chips, drizzled over tacos or even as a dip for veggies!
- I went ahead and made nachos, topping tortilla rounds with quinoa, black beans, diced red peppers, jalapeños, spicy chickpea nacho cheese sauce and cashew sour cream.
- This will keep for up to 5 days in an air-tight container, stored in the refrigerator.
You can fold in the diced green chilies and roasted bell pepper if you want chunks of it throughout the sauce. I like to just blend it all together for simplicity.