President’s Day is fast approaching and it dawned on me last month that I have never shared a recipe that’s patriotic-themed. I know you can find a million and one variations with strawberries + blueberries used to make a patriotic dessert, BUT I am sharing a pudding recipe to go along with it, so it’s not totally pointless – right?…
If you’re not a fan of using cornstarch or you would like to create a healthier alternative, I highly recommend replacing it with my Vanilla Bean Chia Pudding recipe. It can be made completely raw and requires the same amount of ingredients. So you have two options. Also, if you want to get extra fancy, add a dollop of vanilla bean cashew cream or coconut whipped cream on top! Making it the perfect healthy-ish dessert to celebrate President’s Day, Independence Day or even Fourth of July. Really any day for that matter, but you get the point I’m trying to make.
After your pudding has formed and chilled, it might be a little scary looking. While it sets up, it will firm up a bit and mold to the shape of whatever dish you put it into. Remember, before serving, all you have to do you toss it into your blender or food-processor and pulse it a few times. This will create the perfect, fluffiest pudding consistency! If for some reason it’s too firm of a texture for your taste, add 1 tbsp of non-dairy milk to thin it out while blending. Don’t add more, if you break it down with too much liquid you’ll be left with sauce instead of a pudding – you don’t want that, trust me.
For different variations, feel free to blend in 1 tbsp of cacao powder to give it a chocolate flavor. You can also blend in fruit, which will give it more flavor and a fun new color. I’ve even made this with a little matcha powder + crushed pistachios – it’s delicious!
Patriotic Coconut Cream Pudding Cups
Yield 2 pints
Pudding: (yields 1 pint)
- 1 can Simple Truth Coconut Milk*
- 1/4 cup Corn Starch
- 3 tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract, optional
- 1 1/2 cups Strawberries
- 1 1/2 cups Blueberries
- 1/8 cup Simple Truth Slivered Almonds, crushed
- Pour your coconut milk into a small pot over medium heat.
- Measure and whisk in your cornstarch until dissolved. Add in your sweetener of choice, plus vanilla extract and continue whisking.
- Bring the liquid to a medium simmer, whisking for 4-6 minutes. Once the liquid begins to boil it will instantly thicken up.
- Turn the heat off and remove from the stove once it thickens up, continue whisking to keep it smooth.
- Transfer to a bowl and cover, chilling overnight or at least 4 hours.
- The mixture will firm up even more, to make it the perfect pudding consistency, transfer to a blender or food processor and pulse until light and fluffy. Feel free to add a tablespoon of non-dairy milk if you would like a thinner consistency - adding more will bring it back to an almost liquid.
- Wash and cut your strawberries. Grab two pint-sized mason jars and begin to layer each ingredient.
- Top with an extra dollop of pudding, plus a sprinkle of crushed slivered almonds.
- Serve chilled or seal with a lid and chill for up to 4 days.
Can substitute for any non-dairy milk in-place of coconut milk.
Courses Breakfast, Dessert, Snack, Appetizer
Cuisine Vegan, Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Kid-friendly
This recipe was sponsored by Simple Truth and is free from 101 artificial preservatives and additives most commonly used. Available exclusively at the Kroger® Co. Family of Stores.1