When you realize you haven’t shared any holiday drink recipes, you come up with a combo that’s full of holiday cheer and share it immediately. Well, I did share a hot cocoa mix last week. Aside from that it’s been quiet. I thought you were due a couple of special drinks to spice up your holiday season.
This combination is actually one I’m rather obsessed with. I throw that word around often, just know I’m obsessed with a lot of things – like muling spices. If you are too then this is the drink for you! Along with the chicha morada I shared a couple of years ago. So full of spice! This is essentially an apple cider version, with orange in place of lime. So totally different. No idea why I tried comparing the two together. Nevertheless – both are insanely flavorful and delicious.
Grab a huge bottle of apple cider and get to simmering. All you’ll need to make this drink are a few bags of Private Selection orange spice black tea (really anything would work, but this sounded the best), a few cinnamon sticks, a fresh orange and some spiced rum if you want to make it boozey. Totally optional though, it’s very versatile. With or without alcohol and it can be served hot or cold. Whatever sounds best to you. I’m impartial to chilled over ice.
I had a field day at Kroger grabbing the ingredients to make this. There’s something about grocery shopping during the holiday season that really excites me. I love seeing all the seasonal items available – like a surplus of apple cider. They also had a ton of gourds that caught my eye. We didn’t get much of a fall here in Texas, so these seasonal elements bring me joy despite the warmer weather we’ve been having.
If you want to get super festive you could make apple cider ice cubes and throw in pomegranate seeds so your drink stays flavorful without the risk of dilution. You could also make orange juice ice cubes if you’re serving it chilled and want an extra kick of citrus. Really the options are endless. Have fun with it and enjoy!
Orange Spice Apple Cider Cocktails
- 2 bags Orange Spice Black Tea, I used Private Selection
- 4 cups Hot Apple Cider, I used Kroger
- 3/4 cup Dark Rum, I used Kraken
- 2-4 Cinnamon Sticks, to garnish
- Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice, to garnish
- Orange Slices, to garnish
- Ice, as desired
- In a medium sized pot, heat apple cider over medium low heat. Add orange spice black tea bags and let steep for 5 minutes. Turn heat off and let cool to room temperature. Alternatively you can serve this hot, warm or chilled.
- Transfer to a large pitcher or mason jar and mix with spiced rum and ice cubes.
- Pour into a glass of ice cubes (optional) and enjoy topped with a fresh squeeze of orange juice and a cinnamon stick to garnish.
Can be served hot, warm or over ice. With or without the spiced rum, it's optional. Adjust to taste.