A simple revamp on a classic dish that’s easy to make in bulk and oh so tasty! You can’t go wrong with a cup of soup and some hearty bread for dipping. Feel free to use this as a base and add in mixed veggies, beans and/or quinoa or lentils to take it a step further.
Creamy Tomato Basil Soup Revamped
- 6 Medium Tomatoes, quartered
- 1/2 cup Fresh Basil, diced
- 1 1/2-2 cups Water, or vegetable broth/stock
- 1/2 large Yellow Onion, diced
- 3 Carrots, peeled & chopped
- 1 Yellow Bell Pepper, chopped
- 1/8 cup Non-dairy Milk, unsweetened
- 4 oz. Non-dairy Cream Cheese, or cashews soaked overnight
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1/2 tbsp Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1/4 tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes, optional
- 1-2 tbsp Olive Oil
- In a large pot sweat your onions with your oil and carrots for 15 minutes on a medium heat, stirring frequently to avoid burning or browning.
- Add in your garlic, diced tomatoes, bell pepper and basil along with your seasonings and water (or stock). Stir till evenly combined.
- Let everything cook for another 15-20 minutes, or until the tomatoes begin to break apart.
- Add in your non-dairy milk and cream. Then, using a blender, food processor or a handy dandy emersion blender - puree soup until smooth, in batches if needed.
- Taste and adjust seasonings if desired and simmer for 5 minutes over low heat.
- Serve hot with a non-dairy grilled cheese sandwich or a crusty bread for dipping.
Cuisine Gluten-free, Vegan, Kid-friendly, Dairy-free