Kale, the sneaky green I like to throw in everything I make. I mean why not add dark leafy greens to your favorite meals? Like mac n’ cheeze or cornbread. It’s an easy way to make comfort meals a little more nutrient dense. Even though I do enjoy a fresh kale salad, I’m really digging it in this falafel burger.
Piled high with rainbow slaw, avocado slices and a thick drizzle of sriracha tahini. Crispy, crunchy, spicy and so satisfying! This combo is incredible, even those that aren’t usually a fan of falafel, give this version a try and you might be surprised. Baked instead of fried to keep it oil-free, you can of course opt for pan frying if you prefer.
I kept this recipe in bulk because I personally love investing the same amount of time to make twice as much food. These are such a wonderful way to meal prep. Form patties and instead of baking, pop them in the freezer until you’re ready to cook. Or you can bake everything and freeze the extras, once they’ve cooled to room temperature. Either way you have burgers for later. You can even make them into bite-sized sliders so they’re the perfect size for snacking and very kid-friendly!
I think these would be amazing on the grill, maybe for Labor day weekend. They’re essentially the perfect way to end the summer and transition to fall. You could even grill the avocado for added flavor. And if you’re not a fan of tahini, you should try mixing sriracha with zesty ranch dressing to create the creamiest spread ever.
Let me know if you give these a try. I would love to hear what you think and see photos of your rainbow falafel burger in all it’s glory! You can tag me on Instagram @PlantPhilosophy and I’ll be sure to give it a “like” and leave a comment.
Kale Falafel Burgers with Rainbow Slaw
- 4 cups Dried Chickpeas, soaked overnight*
- 4 cups chopped Kale, stems removed
- 1 1/2 cups Yellow Onion, diced
- 1 cup White Rice Flour*
- 1/4 cup Fresh Parsley, chopped
- 2 Flax Eggs
- 6 cloves Garlic, minced
- 4 tbsp Tahini
- 1 tbsp Lemon Zest
- About 1/8 cup Lemon Juice
- 3 tsp Ground Cumin
- 2 tsp Salt, or to taste
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper, or to taste
- Gluten-Free Buns, toasted
- Avocado, to top
- *Rainbow Slaw, to top
- Sriracha Tahini
- 1/4 cup Tahini
- 1/8 cup Sriracha
- Dried chickpeas will double/triple in size. Be sure to add extra water and use a large container to allow room to expand. Cover and keep on the counter overnight. If in a hurry, you can substitute for canned chickpeas instead.
- In a small bowl, combine 2 tbsp of ground flax with 6 tbsp of water. Mix and let sit.
- Sauté onions and garlic for 6 minutes or until translucent, over medium heat. Add in kale, give it a mix and turn the heat off. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Pulse chickpeas in a food processor or blender until about crumbly and half finely ground. Alternatively you can mash them by hand.
- Transfer to a large bowl and mix everything together. Including flax eggs, tahini, lemon zest, rice flour, parsley and seasonings. Folding in the kale mixture and adjusting spices to taste.
- Wrap and store in the fridge for 20 minutes to chill.
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Remove and form into patties. I used about 1/3 cup worth per burger.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes on the center rack, flipping halfway. You can add cooking spray or a touch of oil if you would like to crisp them up even more. Alternatively you can pan fry over medium heat, about 4-5 minutes on each side.
- Serve hot on a toasted bun with rainbow slaw, avocado slices and sriracha tahini.
*You can substitute for any flour. I'd recommend all-purpose, a GF blend or brown rice.*Rainbow slaw is a mixture of shredded cabbage, purple cabbage and carrots. You can also add kale, like my kale slaw recipe.
Cuisine Gluten-free, Vegan