It seems that every year I have this need to share a recipe that’s pink and/or heart-shaped for Valentine’s day. Seriously, do you remember last years recipe? I made these Pink Heart-Shaped Sushi Rolls and the year before that, I made these Heart-Shaped Goji Berry Dark Chocolates. I guess I’m just a sucker for love. Really any excuse to turn my food naturally pink is good enough for me. Beets are magical, speaking of beets, I’m kind of on a beet-kick lately. They’re SO GOOD juiced with green apples! My lovely friend, Mandy introduced me to that combo and I’m totally hooked. Thanks girl!
Since cauliflower steaks have been super popular, I wanted to give them a try. Essentially, I ended up making large cauliflower wings, I know – but you can omit the batter and use the beet juice to naturally dye them. Baking them the same way and keeping it lighter. I apparently can’t stay away from covering everything in batter and baking it to crispy perfection, no idea when or if I’ll ever grow out of this phase. Also, my ranch addiction is real. I topped this with last week’s recipe for Zesty Ranch Dressing – I live for this stuff!
If you have issues cutting your cauliflower steaks into heart-shapes, feel free to keep it abstract and make whatever shape you can. Worse case scenario you make cauliflower wings with the extra bits and they’re pink, so you’ve already succeed in making something cute!
Hopefully you can share this with a loved one for Valentine’s day or any day that needs a little something that’s extra special. I plan on making my favorite GF Chocolate Cake recipe and lining the top with raspberries in the shape of a heart, chocolate + raspberries = heaven. I may or may not share with my husband. Luckily, I have another chocolate recipe going up this weekend – so if you’re in the giving mood, they’re perfect to share with a loved one. Happy Valentine’s Day!
Heart-Shaped Pink Cauliflower Steaks
Yield 2 -4 servings
- 1 small head of Cauliflower
- 1 cup White Rice Flour, any will work
- 1 1/4 cups Water
- 2 tbsp Beets*, or 2 tbsp juice (adjust for color)
- 2 cloves of Garlic
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Diced Spring Onions, to top
- Zesty Ranch Dressing, to dip
- Preheat the oven to 450 F.
- Measure and blend your flour, water, beets, garlic & seasonings in a high-speed blender, scraping down the sides as needed. Pour into a medium bowl and dip your cauliflower pieces. Tapping off the excess batter.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment or a non-stick baking liner.
- Bake on the center rack for 35-40 minutes, flipping after 20.
- Remove from the oven and let cool before serving.
- Top with a drizzle of zesty ranch dressing and top with diced spring onions.
I used beets raw, blending the batter essentially makes it beet juice. Remember the more beets, the deeper the pink will become, less equals lighter. They will darken by about 4 shades once baked completely as well.
Courses Entree, Appetizer
Cuisine Vegan, Gluten-free, Kid-friendly