When you want a healthy option but it’s summer and grilled food is in full-swing. You can have the best of both worlds with this salad. Taking a basic concept of the BLT and making it fresh for the hot season. Prep your outdoor grill or whip out that grill pan and let’s get started!
Complete with a homemade oil-free vinaigrette, this grilled salad will not only impress your neighbors but your tastebuds will get a kick out of it too. The secret to grilled romaine is actually a very simple technique based on the prep beforehand. Slicing a romaine heart in half, soaking it in a cold water + apple cider vinegar solution, draining/patting dry, bringing your grill or grill pan to a very high heat, brushing the romaine with a touch of the vinaigrette and pressing it on the grill for 4-6 seconds. That’s it. If the grill isn’t hot enough, you won’t get grill marks. If you leave it on too long, you’ll end up with soggy/wilted lettuce. The key lies in the high heat and having a little moisture on the surface to instantly react with said heat.
For this salad, I went to my local Kroger grocery store and picked up the essentials. Their Simple Truth brand is one that I constantly rave about, they even have their own vegan mock-meats! I used a simple combo of romaine hearts, grape tomatoes, homemade coconut bacon and an oil-free vinaigrette made with mustard. If using the Simple Truth brand, a pack of romaine hearts and grape tomatoes will yield enough for 3+ servings, with some tomatoes leftover (depending on how many you wish to have).
You can really take this concept and apply it to so much more. Using a wedge of iceberg lettuce or playing about with different toppings. I think a wedge version with my candied pecans and zesty ranch dressing would be delicious! You could also use that dressing for this, but since it’s summer I did try to keep it on the lighter side. Very refreshing, flavorful and a total crowd-pleaser. You can throw this together instantly, making it perfect for a backyard barbecue.
Grilled Romaine BLT Salad
Yield 3 servings
- 3 Simple Truth Romaine Hearts, halved
- 1 pint Grape Tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup Coconut Bacon, recipe here
- 1/4 cup Red Onion, diced
- Oil-Free Mustard Vinaigrette, as desired
- Using a 3 pack of Simple Truth Organic Romaine Hearts, carefully cut in half. Transfer to a large bowl and soak in cold water with a splash of apple cider vinegar. This will ensure the lettuce is clean and removes any dirt.
- Drain and pat dry.
- Bring a grill pan to high heat and place one romaine half on at a time. Wait until the pan is very hot, place your romaine in the center (flat side down) and press down with a plate for 4 seconds. You want to work quickly or the lettuce will become soggy very fast.
- Press down, wait 4-6 seconds and remove with a pair of tongs. Repeat as needed for each piece.
- Serve topped with sliced grape tomatoes, diced red onions, a generous sprinkle of coconut bacon and a drizzle of oil-free mustard vinaigrette. Finish with salt and pepper to taste, serve immediately.
You can also dress this with my zesty ranch, recipe here.
Courses Entree, Lunch
Cuisine Gluten-free, Vegan, Oil-free
Oil-Free Mustard Vinaigrette
- 1/3 cup Simple Truth Mustard
- 1/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 tbsp Maple Syrup, any liquid sweetener
- 1/2 tsp Dill, dried or 1 tsp Fresh Dill
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Measure and pour into a small mason jar.
- Cover and shake to evenly combine.
- Refrigerate for up to two weeks.
Courses Dressing, Sauce
Cuisine Oil-free, Vegan
This recipe was sponsored by Simple Truth and is free from 101 artificial preservatives and additives most commonly used. Available exclusively at the Kroger® Co. Family of Stores.1