You can’t kick off the Summer without something grilled. Lately I’ve been obsessed with my grill pan, giving me the ability to get those tasty grill marks without setting up a grill outside. I highly recommend investing in one, they’re totally worth it.
A few weeks ago I shared on Snapchat the behind the scenes of testing this recipe out. I actually made it about 3 times before I decided to snap photos for a recipe post here. This has quickly become a staple in my home. It’s incredibly easy to prep ahead the tempeh the night before and purchase all the veggies pre-sliced for convenience. I decided to keep the slaw lighter, omitting a mayo base. When I think about Summer, I usually think of fresh and light fruits and veggies. I wanted this slaw to have a crunch that’s very clean yet flavorful. Thus this recipe was born. I think this slaw would also be killer on top of bbq lentil sloppy joes, a recipe I have yet to post but I wrote over a year ago. Sorry! Essentially the same concept as the tempeh, but with slow-cooked green lentils and lots of sautéed onions. Mixed together with my Southern Hickory Smoked Barbecue Sauce. If you’re in a pinch, you can also pick up a pre-made sauce. I personally love the original flavor from Simple Truth. It’s free of worcestershire sauce, which many store-bought bbq sauces contain.
What are some of your favorite grilled recipes? I plan on sharing many more next month! Stay tuned for my Mexican Grilled Street Corn (Elotes) and some local grown Texas peaches that I turn into a quick and easy dessert! Also, don’t forget to make a batch of Matcha Green Tea Limeade to accompany this meal. It’s seriously so refreshing and perfectly accents this combo. Let me know what you think of it and feel free to snap a photo and tag me on Facebook or Instagram! Happy Grillin’!
Grilled BBQ Tempeh Silders with Kale Slaw
Yield 4 -6 servings
The perfect addition to any backyard bbq or a quick dinner for a night in. You can't go wrong with a side of matcha green tea limeades too!
- Simple Truth BBQ Sauce
- Tempeh, cut to bun size
- 4 cups Kale, bite-sized pieces
- 1 1/2 cups Carrots, shredded
- 1 1/2 cups Purple Cabbage, shredded
- 1/8 cup Lemon Juice, fresh
- 1 tsp Oil, I used Sesame
- Liquid Sweetener, to taste
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Slider Buns, I used these
- Vegan Mayo, optional
- Simple Truth Mustard, optional
- Cut your tempeh to size to perfectly fit each bun. Add to a shallow dish and cover with enough bbq sauce to fully coat. Lightly flip each piece until covered. Set aside until needed, you can marinate overnight for even more flavor.
- Wash and thinly slice your purple cabbage. Transfer to a large bowl with shredded carrots.
- In a medium bowl, add kale ripped from the stem into bite-sized pieces. Massage with lemon juice and a touch of oil, this will help break it down and remove any bitter flavor. Test a piece to see if it’s still bitter, you’ll know it’s ready when the bitterness goes away and it reduces in size.
- Mix together kale, carrots, cabbage with a little liquid sweetener (like agave) and salt & pepper, to taste. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
- Heat a grill pan to medium heat, lightly oil as needed.
- Place tempeh at a diagonal and cook for 4-5 minutes, flip and repeat.
- Toast slider buns as desired.
- Assemble with grilled tempeh, kale slaw and a touch of vegan mayo and/or mustard on top.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
Courses Entree, Dinner, Appetizer
Cuisine Gluten-free, Vegan
This recipe was sponsored by Simple Truth and is free from 101 artificial preservatives and additives most commonly used. Available exclusively at the Kroger® Co. Family of Stores.1