Get ready to be shocked because I’m about to blow your mind with these carrot dogs. Did you ever think such a thing would exist?! Talk about creative, this idea is pure gold! No preservatives, fillers or ingredients you can’t pronounce – just carrots. I freakin’ love the minimalism of this recipe! I can’t wait to try it out with different marinades and/or toppings. I’m thinking caramelized onions, cheezy kale chips and a spicy mayo ketchup would be so delicious!
What would you put on your carrot dogs?
All-Natural Carrot Dogs
A carrot is the same shape as a hot dog and close enough in color to make a decent substitute. But what about the taste? I promise you, this marinade really takes it to the next level. I think the sesame oil helps, but the vinegar gives it that “cured” flavor, too.
- 4 carrots, cut into bun lengths
- ¼ cup (60 ml) seasoned rice vinegar (or apple cider vinegar and a dash of salt)
- ¼ cup (60 ml) water
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) sesame oil (*leave out)
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) coconut aminos (can substitute soy sauce; use unseasoned vinegar)
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder (or ½ clove garlic, minced)
- ¼ teaspoon liquid smoke Pepper, to taste
- Toasted hot dog bun, lettuce or collard leaves, to serve
- Heat water in a pot large enough for all the carrots.
- When it comes to a boil, turn down to medium heat and add the carrots. Cook until you can just pierce them through with a fork; you want them to have a snap when you bite into them.
- Remove from pot and run cold water over them to stop them from cooking.
- In a container with a tight-fitting lid, combine the remaining ingredients to make the marinade.
- Tighten the lid and shake until well mixed.
- Place the carrots in a container in which they can lie flat. Pour the marinade over them and marinate at least 3 to 4 hours, up to 24. The longer they marinate, the more vinegar flavor they take on. If you know you need to leave them longer than a day, cut the vinegar to ⅛ cup (30 ml). If the carrots are very skinny, keep the marinating time short.
- To serve, heat the carrots in a 350°F (177°C) oven, or in a grill pan on a hot grill, until heated through, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Serve in a toasted hot dog bun or wrapped in a lettuce or collard leaf, and pile on your favorite toppings.
You can cook these in your slow cooker in the marinade. You need to check on them so they do not get mushy, so it is not a set-it-and-walk-away affair. Cook until a fork just goes through the carrot but it is still slightly firm.Reprinted from The Easy Vegan Cookbook Copyright © 2015 by Kathy Hester. Published by Page St Publishing.
Cuisine Gluten-free, Vegan, Soy-free, Oil-free option
Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 3.5 g
Sodium 749.7 mg
Total Carbohydrates 17.3 g
Dietary Fiber 2 g
Protein 0.7 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Chili Cheese Carrot Dogs
*Can sub for any gluten-free bread of choice.
Cuisine Soy-free, Vegan, Gluten-free option