This year I wanted to push myself, create recipes with more substance and keep them as simple as possible. That sounds condraditory, right? Well I think I’ve finally found my niche. I’m having so much fun creating new content and putting my best effort into sharing recipes that don’t involve too many steps or complicated ingredients. I would love to hear your feedback on this, are you enjoying my content or is it missing something? I’m open to any advice/suggestions you may have.
Kicking off the month of November with an easy recipe that needed to be shared, it’s essential for most households during the holiday season. I wanted to show everyone that it’s totally possible to make a dairy-free cream of mushroom base, that’s vegan too! AND it’s less than 10 ingredients total, yep.
This comes together with little to no effort. I honestly make it slightly different each time, I’m kind of lazy with measuring things out when I make it for myself. However this is so perfect, I think it will be incredible versatile for anyone. I may or may not be sharing a green bean casserole using it, very soon… but you didn’t hear that from me.
Vegan Cream of Mushroom Sauce
A dairy-free way to enjoy the classic mushroom based sauce/soup with no more than 10 ingredients total!
- 16 oz Mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups Savory Coconut Cream Sauce, recipe here
- Start by following the recipe for my Savory Coconut Cream Sauce, here. This will be the base for this recipe.
- In a large non-stick pan, sauté your sliced mushrooms over medium heat until halved in size. About 5-6 minutes, stirring frequently. Feel free to add vegan butter for a richer flavor.
- Blend half of your mushrooms with the coconut sauce base, adding the remaining half as is. You can adjust this to your needs. I like extra mushrooms left sliced.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings as needed. I like to add lots of black pepper and a couple drops of liquid smoke (optional).
- Pour into an air tight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
This sauce is perfect over pastas, beefless stroganoff and makes for a seamless substitution for cream of mushroom soup, especially in green bean casseroles. Since this is a full fat coconut milk base, it will firm up significantly once chilled. As soon as heat hits it, it will melt back into a sauce.
Cuisine Gluten-free, Vegan, Nut-free