Fall is finally upon us here in Texas and I couldn’t be more excited. I live for this season, granted it lasts about two whole weeks here – it’s better than skipping it altogether. It’s been a weird year for weather. Looking forward to the cooler days and no more AC on in the house. I’m that person that has all the windows open when it’s below 50 degrees F. I LOVE cold weather. Not that freezing cold, snow every day kinda stuff. The days where you have a little sun out but it’s breezy and kinda chilly without being in direct sunlight. I honestly have no idea why I stay in Texas of all places, trust me I’m not here for the weather. I’d love to live up north somewhere. Maybe one day.
With the leaves changing colors and the crispness in the air, it only seemed logical to share an iconically “Fall” recipe. One I actually photographed and wrote exactly two years ago but somehow managed to forget to share. Again, oops. So I revamped it and I’m sharing it here today. These peanut butter caramel apples only require a few ingredients and they can be made very quickly. I will say though, if you’re a fan of the actual taste of caramel apples but you despise the mess they make and want to cut that part completely out, you can opt for apple slices dipped. Or make the caramel and serve with apples slices for others to dip as they please. Maybe you could get crazy and make an apple dipping bar, with a few toppings on the side. Serve it up at a party as a diy apple nacho bar. That could be really cute for holiday parties or winter break sleepovers. Or my idea of the perfect Saturday night.
I went for the classic dark chocolate and shredded coconut topping. I think these would be incredible with a vegan white chocolate if you want to get super decadent. You could also top with chopped nuts, seeds, dried fruits or even your favorite popcorn. Too crazy? Nah. Go for it!
Let me know if you give these a try, I would love to hear what you think! Feel free to tag me @PlantPhilosophy on Instagram and use the hashtag #PlantPhilosophy so I don’t miss your photo! Seeing your recreations seriously makes my whole day. I love knowing so many of you are in the kitchen with me in spirit. Happy cooking this holiday season! Please feel free to share what you plan on making this season in the comments below.
- 4 medium Apples, any color
- 4 Popsicle or Lollipop Sticks
- 1 cup Date Caramel*, recipe here
- ¼ cup Creamy Peanut Butter, unsweetened
- Crushed Nuts*, to coat (optional)
- Dark Chocolate, to drizzle (optional)
- Measure and blend date caramel with peanut butter until smooth.
- Transfer to a deep bowl, large enough to fit each apple.
- Wash and pat dry each apple. Removing the stem and inserting a stick to hold it.
- Dip into the peanut butter caramel and twist until evenly coated.
- Transfer to a parchment lined baking sheet or drying rack and chill in the fridge for freezer until set, about 20 minutes.
- Remove and dip again, adding as many layers as you wish. I did two.
- Melt dark chocolate and finish each apple with a drizzle.
- In a separate bowl, add crushed nuts and/or shredded coconut and dip each apple as desired or leave plain.
- Chill again until chocolate hardens.
- Serve chilled, eating off the stick or cutting into slices. To make cutting into slices easier, freeze for an hour to harden beforehand.
This makes enough for up to 8 apples to be dipped, depending on size and number of layers dipped.